Day Trip to Volubilus and Meknes from Fes
After a morning pick up at your hotel in Fes, you will begin your day trip to Volubilus driving west beside rolling countryside dotted with wheat fields, olive groves, fruit trees, and vineyards.
Your first stop of the day will be the Roman ruins of Volubilus. French archaeologists began excavating Volubilus in the early 20th century. Fully half of the immense sight still remains beneath centuries of soil. Walk among the remains such as the basilica, the triumphal arc, and the many palaces with their exquisite mosaics. The tour will be done with a local guide who will offer you a glimpse into the lifestyle of the people at the peak of its grandeur.
Next you will stop in at the adjacent small town of Moulay Idriss Zerhoun. Perched atop a hill overlooking Volubilis, Moulay Idriss Zerhoun houses the mausoleum of Moulay Idriss I (745-791), the first Arab king of Morocco. During your stop in Moulay Idriss Zerhoun you will go to a panoramic view point, and visit the town center.
Your last stop will be the mighty walled Imperial City of Meknes. Smaller in comparison to the other Moroccan Imperial Cities, Meknes held the status of capital of Morocco for only 55 years during the reign of the infamous king Moulay Ismail (1634-1727). Meknes’s old city offers a trove of sights for visitors: the massive royal stables, granary, and cavernous underground prison. You will also visit Moulay Ismail’ mausoleum (one of the only mosques in Morocco open to tourists), the monumental Mansour Gate. Enjoy a camel burger in the medina.
Once finished with this busy day of sightseeing, you will take the highway back to Fes and we will drop you off at your hotel in the late afternoon/evening.
Along with your day trip to Volubilus and Meknes you may also enjoy a day to Ifrane, Sefrou, and Bhalil
Day Trips Notes:
- Fill in the form below to request a quote for a day trip. The number of people in your group is important to provide accurate pricing.
- All day trips include : private, air conditioned transportation, an English speaking driver or guide, entry fees to listed attractions, any food that is explicitly mentioned as included.
- All day trips DO NOT include : lunch, beverages, gratuities.
- Sending this form is NOT a confirmation. This is intended to be an inquiry for availability and price. We will attempt to respond within 24 hours.
- Same day bookings are not accepted.
- Payment is required in full prior to the start of the tour. We accept PayPal and cash.